Monday, June 5, 2017

My visit to the unforgettable Kaalahastheeswarar Temple, in Kumbakonam Mutt Street, to revive my fond childhood memories

My visit to the unforgettable Kaalahastheeswarar Temple, in Kumbakonam Mutt Street, to revive my childhood memories :

(Ashtaadashaa Bhujaa Durga : Durga Devi with 18 hands) :




Attached above is the image of Ashtaadasha Bhuja Durga. This form of Durga, is a combination of MakaaKaali, Mahaa Lakshmi & Mahaa Saraswathi. Of the 18 hands of Ashtaadasha Bhuja Durga, 10 belong to Mahaa Kaali, 4 to Mahaa Lakshmi & 4 to Maha Saraswathi. This is supposed to be a very powerful form of Devi Durga, with the combined powers of all the three above deities, in a single image.

This is the Statue of Devi Durga, installed in the back side of Kaalahastheeswarar Temple, in the famous Mutt Strret of Kumbakonam, in Thanjavur. 

Kumbakonam is the holy town, I visited in January this year, to revive my joyous, fun-filled old memories of my unforgettable summer holidays & Pooja holidays, in childhood, at my grandparents' native place in Tamilnadu.

I religiously used to visit Shri Kaalahastheeswarar Temple, almost everyday, during my luxurious school holidays in Thaathaa-Patti's fun-filled abode. In fact, even before starting my journey from the cyber city of Bangalore recently, I had made up my mind firmly that I will just not miss this very temple of my school-days, even if I had to miss all the renowned UNESCO World Heritage sites in the region.

Could visit this sacred shrine just once in the evening, during my recent pilgrimage to sacred Kumbakonam. It's inside this shrine,  where I went into dream trance, with the echoeing 'Thevaaram' inside the shrine. 

The Sanctum Sanctorum of Lord Shiva / Kaalahastheeswarar, had an inexplicable divinity & intense spiritual vibrations, emanating all around. 

I went all alone to the temple, without anyone accompanying me, spent a few hours there, immersed in old memories, rather than praying for the blessings of the Deity, that one would expect during such temple visits.

On the backside, was the most powerful 'Ashtadashaa-Bhuja Durga', where I prayed for sometime, closing my eyes, enjoying the holy vibrations, of perhaps several centuries of India's spiritual history. Kanchi Paramacharya, had sanctifed this sacred shrine, by his stay here for a number of years during his early monastic life, during my mother's childhood days.

I gave Rs. 1000/-, to one Raja Gurukkal in temple, who promised to send me 'Kumkuma Archhanai Prasaadam' of 'Durga Devi' every week, for ten weeks, by express courier. This was the agreement, and the assurance he gave on receiving the payment.

It's almost 6 months now, and I received the Prasaadam from the temple just once, just only once, so far. Feel sad to see the attitudes of the Gurukkals of a temple, I have always held in very high esteem.

No comments:

Post a Comment